|Keeping Your Home Protected|
Ten Tips to Discourage Theft
Deter burglars, protect your home and family from theft with these easy to follow tips.
- Lighting – keep the outside of your home well lit at night. Consider outdoor motion-sensor lights around the home’s exterior.
- Set timers to control interior lights to turn lights on and off when you are away. There are also a variety of light plugs that can be controlled via smartphone. Check your local hardware or home improvement store.
- Always keep doors and windows locked.
- Keep garage doors closed. A would-be thief can easily “take inventory” in an open garage.
- Do NOT keep a key in the deadbolt if you have a glass paneled door or glass sides. A burglar can easily break the window, reach though and unlock the door with the key you’ve left in the lock. Keep the key close but out of reach.
- Change up your daily routine – don’t do the same thing every day at the same time; keep thieves guessing as to when you will return.
- Pay attention to your trash. Break down large TV or computer boxes and recycle or put in trash container. No need to advertise your recent purchases.
- Be careful when allowing a service person into your home. Even if you are expecting service work, check that their vehicle looks legitimate and has a company logo; ask to see their identification before unlocking and opening the door. You can also call the company to verify a person’s ID before allowing them to enter.
- Talk to a trusted neighbor. Help each other by watching each other’s homes when away and share contact information. Should a situation arise, you will know how to contact each other immediately.
- Keep an inventory of all the things you own. In the event of a theft, an organized list will help save a lot of inconvenience. Check out the free Home Inventory app from the Insurance Information Institute. https://www.knowyourstuff.org/iii/login.html