“Facebook" “LinkedIn" “Google+"
Insuring Your College Student  

Sending a child off to college is a significant milestone. As you prepare for the start of the semester, you should consider how your insurance needs may change with your son or daughter away at school. Coverage for your student’s personal property changes, and can depend on where they live while they are away at school.

Protecting Your Student’s Belongings

Many homeowners policies consider a dorm room as an extension of your home, so items your student keeps there may be covered to some extent. However, if your student has expensive electronic equipment or furniture, you may want to consider purchasing additional coverage.

If your student lives off campus, his or her possessions may not be covered by your homeowners policy. In that case, you may want to consider renter’s insurance. Renter’s insurance will cover possessions in your student’s off-campus apartment or house as well as provide liability coverage if someone is injured in the residence.

Changing Auto Coverage

If your student moves more than 100 miles away from your home to attend school and doesn’t keep a vehicle there, your auto insurance premiums could decrease.  However, if your student does take their car to campus your auto coverage could change. Good Student rates and discounts still apply if your child has a 3.0 GPA. Documentation may need to be submitted in order to obtain discounts on your insurance program.

As you prepare to send your son or daughter to school this fall, remember to ask your Arthur Hall Insurance advisor to review your policy so that you and your student can make the transition to college as stress-free as possible. Call us today at 610-696-2394 to learn more about your best coverage options and how they can help to protect you.

Keeping Your Child Healthy While on Campus

In addition, you may want to reach out to your healthcare provider to discuss any considerations or restrictions. Many students can stay on their parents’ health plans if they are full-time students. However, restrictions vary greatly by state, and coverage could be even more complicated if your student is attending an out-of-state school or is a member of an intercollegiate sports team.

If you find your student doesn’t have coverage under your plan, you have a few options. Most colleges have their own health plans, but some policies have high deductibles and low coverage maximums. A few don’t offer any coverage for conditions present before entering the school, so be sure to examine plans carefully. Otherwise, you may want to consider an individual policy for your student.